Sunday, January 6, 2013

A new year, a new blog...


So, blogging is a new thing for me.  It's something I've toyed with before but never actually done.  I know I have things to say, but I can never seem to find what it is I want to talk about.  I've entertained the idea of blogs on cooking, comics, gaming, general nerdiness, and a few other ideas but nothing has ever gotten off of the ground.

I am a big fan of gaming.  Gaming of all types, really, but my favorite genre is roleplaying games.  I like to create worlds and characters, tell stories with them, and occasionally put pencil to paper (or stylus to Cintiq) and create images that go along with them.  My favorite roleplaying system, without a doubt, is Fate by the amazing folks over at Evil Hat.

My love affair began in 2007.  Soon after my family’s moved to Texas I walked into the local gaming store (friendly and/or professional were suspect in this case) looking for something new to read.  Browsing the gaming shelves I found a 6x9 tome with yellow letters along the spine very much in the style of the Raiders of the Lost Ark font that read, Spirit of the Century.  Pulp heroes in an extremely narrative, very collaborative, RPG?  I was in from the word go.  I picked up the book that day and read it cover to cover and was immediately hooked. 

Since that faithful day I have purchased and read every iteration of the Fate rules that I could get my hands on.   From Strands to Kerberos Club and Dresden to Diaspora, I have read (I think) them all.  In fact, whenever I pick up another RPG or start the process for planning a new campaign, I almost always start thinking about how I can do it with FATE and I almost always come up with something.  

In August 2012 Mike Olsen from the AMAZING Spirit of the [Blank] blog and contributor to many an fantastic Fate titles announced he would be publicly playtesting the Atomic Robo Role Playing Game (AARPG).  I signed up immediately and was able to get in on round two, which was really exciting.  One of my favorite comics (seriously, check it out if you haven’t) mixed with my favorite RPG (going through a revision), written by my Fate hero…I simply couldn’t pass it up.  I don’t get a lot of gaming time in, but I was lucky to run a few sessions and it was great.  The players had fun, I had fun, I couldn’t wait for more…and I didn’t have to wait long. 

In November 2012 Fred Hicks announced the impending Kickstarter for the newest version of the rules, Fate Core.  The Kickstarter launched on December 3rd and I achieved minimum funding it was seemed like 45 minutes.  The Yahoo! group went super nova and Google+ got a community dedicated to the game. 

So, I decided to start a Fate blog.  Yeah, I know, it’s not the first but there’s always room for one more.  I have a few plans for this thing.  I am going to use it as a place to discuss my plans for a couple of campaigns I want to run, I want to do setting and character conversions, I plan on doing reviews of products (past and present), and work on converting older Fate stuff into Core.  The plan is weekly posts, but I’d like to do more and dedicate specific days to specific topics.  If there’s something you’d like to see, let me know

So, please bear with me as I get this thing up and running.  I am working on a format and some graphics for the page and updates will come soon. 

Talk to you all soon.

3 comments:

  1. I saw over at Chocolate & Cream Cake that you're a TMNT fan (and more awesomely, a Raph fan). Ever played the TMNT & Other Strangeness RPG?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have and I still have most of the books somewhere. I am not a huge Palladium fan but the sourcebooks were great. My absolute favorite was Mutants Down Under.

    Crap, now that someone has found this blog, I guess I'll have to start writing more. Maybe I'll FATEify the Turtles for my first character post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that'd be awesome. I just subscribed, so, you know, the pressure is on now. :P

    ReplyDelete